The Sunset Cooperative Nursery School is the official site of OB’s newest completed mural project, a whale painting by artist Chris Del Moro. The mural project was initiated by Save The Waves, an environmental non-profit organization that works to protect endangered surf spots around the globe. The project was completed over the course of two days and served as an introduction in honoring ocean conservation and the Save The Waves Film Festival on Friday, Nov. 12.
Del Moro is an artist living in southern California whose art has appeared on everything from murals to t-shirts.
The film Transparent Sea, is a documentary (shown at STWFF) about Dave Rastovich’s 700km Australian voyage with friends (including CDM) from Byron Bay to Bondi Beach in Oct. 2009. The crew followed the whales along their migration path to both observe and attract more attention to the majestic and gigantic sea creatures.
According to the Transparent Sea Voyage’s website, inspiration for the journey sprang from environmental concern for marine creatures and the desire to raise awareness and ultimately, someday, real legitimate protection.
“For sixty million years the largest brains on Earth have swam and surfed harmoniously within the ocean. Today, industrialized man threatens the future of our oceans, whales and dolphins via commercial fishing, domestic, industrial and acoustic pollution, and direct kills. The Transparent Sea voyage expresses the surfing worlds desire to surf with cetaceans in an ocean that is clean, clear, and protected.”
Now OB can enjoy land whales too at the Sunset Co-op on the corner of Lawton and Great Highway.
Sunset resident and curious explorer of the city. Ocean Beach needs coverage.
Whatcha lookin’ for?
- OCEAN BEACH OVERVIEW : 15-20 ft. - 3-4 times overhead and poor to fair January 24, 2017Howdy, Chris with the report for Tuesday afternoon at 2:00pm. 15-20 ft. - 3-4 times overhead occasionally none and poor to fairChris@surfline.com (Chris)
- CENTRAL OCEAN BEACH NORTH : Surf: 6-7 ft. May 23, 2018This is LOLA with the forecast for Wednesday at 12:00 AM. Surf: 6-7 email@example.com (LOLA)
- CENTRAL OCEAN BEACH SOUTH : Surf: 6-7 ft. May 23, 2018This is LOLA with the forecast for Wednesday at 12:00 AM. Surf: 6-7 firstname.lastname@example.org (LOLA)
- SOUTH OCEAN BEACH : 15-20 ft. - 3-4 times overhead and poor January 24, 2017Howdy, Chris with the report for Tuesday afternoon at 2:00pm. 15-20 ft. - 3-4 times overhead occasionally none and poorChris@surfline.com (Chris)
- SHARP PARK : Surf: 5-6 ft. May 23, 2018This is LOLA with the forecast for Wednesday at 12:00 AM. Surf: 5-6 email@example.com (LOLA)
- ROCKAWAY : Surf: 4-5 ft. May 23, 2018This is LOLA with the forecast for Wednesday at 12:00 AM. Surf: 4-5 firstname.lastname@example.org (LOLA)
- OCEAN BEACH OVERVIEW : 15-20 ft. - 3-4 times overhead and poor to fair January 24, 2017
- 45th Avenue 46th Ave activities australia Balsa Man beach beaches Benefit Botanical Gardens brunch Burning Man castles in the sky Chile chris del moro clean water Coconut community center cup of joe dane reynolds dave rastovich de Young museum earthquake enthusiasts environmental EveryBlock FCD fight film festival Fletcher Chouinard Designs Fog City Fuerza Chile Golden Gate Park Indian summer journalist Judah local Malibu mark lukach neighborhoods news ocean beach ocean beach bulletin online journalism Outerlands Outer Sunset petition relief Richmond District blog rob machado sachi cunningham san francisco Save The Waves scones septic prohibition SF Conservatory of Flowers sf state sfsu SF Zoo signatures sunset Sunset District support surfers for cetaceans surfing T-shirt taylor steele toast tom prete transparent sea Trouble Coffee Co. victoria theatre water quality whale whale mural young coconut